On September 14, 1824, Lieutenant Henry Miller established the 1st European Settlement in Queensland. It was at Redcliffe.
The Redcliffe Historical Society was established February 1967 following a public meeting held at the old Redcliffe Council Chambers. The Society was granted incorporation in 1992 and the name recently changed to History Redcliffe.
History Redcliffe, Redcliffe Historical Society Inc, acts to preserve Redcliffe’s special place in Queensland history and aims to research, collect, and promote its local history. The Society conducts regular historic walks and volunteers research and publishes local history books, postcards and DVDs. Monthly meetings are held on the second Friday of each month at 2 pm.
The Redcliffe Museum, a long-held dream of the Society, was opened 28 October 2001. The Museum was financed by Redcliffe City Council with the help of Society funds and the Society’s historic collection.
We aim to Research, Collect, Evaluate, Preserve, Inform, Promote and Honour Redcliffe History.
Find stories on the people, places and faces of Redcliffe
This Month’s Featured Story – “Redcliffe Bathing Boxes”
It might surprise some people to know that in times past bathing boxes were erected on Redcliffe’s beaches. The idea of bathing boxes originated in the late 1800s when mixed bathing on popular beaches became fashionable. Victorian society dictated a modest approach to public bathing where areas of public beaches were set aside, one for women and children and the other for men.
In 1873 the residents of Sandgate passed a resolution at a public meeting to provide separate bathing places at Sandgate for each sex. It was about this time that the excursion boats were just beginning to venture to the Redcliffe Peninsula with people eager to enjoy a beach outing and by 1888, separate bathing areas had been allocated at Redcliffe for men and women.
While the local hotels and boarding houses had erected bathing sheds for their visitors, and many private bathing sheds had been erected on most of the beaches, by 1912 there were still no public bathing houses on the peninsula. A letter to the Brisbane Courier from a visitor about that time suggested that council should erect a bathing booth which would serve as both a changing room and kiosk. A later letter in 1918 shows that some attempt has been made by council advising that a small building resembling a stable had been erected for the ladies.
Repeated attempts by local progress associations to lobby for improved conveniences in the 1920s resulted in the Mayor himself, James Johnston, investigating the situation and discovering that there were 251 sheds along the beach from Clontarf to Scarborough, many of which were in poor repair.
It wasn’t until Christmas 1933 that the Courier Mail reported that: “Sutton’s Beach has undergone a wonderful change. Two large concrete bathing boxes have been erected. The whole of the beach has been levelled and turfed.”
However private bathing sheds were still in use and remained so for many years with about 25 cluttering up the beach, according to the then Town Clerk, J C Pearson, in December 1950. Bathing boxes had finally disappeared by the 1960s.
Who can remember seeing the amphibian aircraft ‘Cutty Sark’ land at Suttons Beach? It was there for just one Winter during 1937. Sir A. V. Roe and Mr S. E. Saunders formed a flying boat business called SARO based at Cowes, Isle of Wight, England in 1928. The A17 Cutty Sark was the new company’s first…
One of the Peninsula’s most colourful characters was Edward (Ted) Walker, who in his later years claimed to be the oldest practising warm milk vendor in Australia. Born in 1906, the son of Samuel Walker, he grew up on his parent’s dairy farm in Oxley Avenue next door to the site where the Scarborough State…