Redcliffe Historical Timeline - 1770 to 1886

1770

Lt. James Cook sailed by East of the large bay islands naming Point Lookout, Moreton Bay, Cape Moreton and the Glasshouse Mountains.

1799

Lt. Matthew Flinders landed at Woody Point and Clontarf Point.

1823

John Oxley explored part of the Peninsula.

1824

A convict settlement was founded near Humpybong Creek.

1825

The convict settlement was moved to the banks of the Brisbane River.

1862

The Redcliffe Agricultural Reserve was proclaimed.

1864

The first farming blocks were sold and farming began.

1876

The first Humpybong Provisional School was opened.

1878

The Bay View Hotel was built at Scarborough.

1880

Land developers began buying farms and subdividing them into housing estates.

1881

The Redcliffe Hotel was built.

1881

The first Woody Point Jetty was built.

1883

Great Western Hotel was erected at Woody Point on the site of the Palace Hotel.

1885

The first Redcliffe Jetty was built.

1886

Post and Telegraph Office, Court House and Police Station erected at Redcliffe.