Redcliffe Historical Timeline - 1942 to Today

1948

Graham Higham was a boxer and first Redcliffe resident to compete at an Olympic Games (London).

1958

Gayundah was beached at Woody Point.

1959

Sewerage treatment plant completed and first house connected.

1959

Redcliffe proclaimed a City.

1965

Redcliffe Hospital opened.

1967

Redcliffe Historical Society was formed.

1968

Plane piloted by Norm Thurecht made the first landing at Redcliffe Aerodrome.

1968

Victoria House was destroyed by fire.

1968

First traffic lights on the Peninsula installed at Crash Corner.

1969

Anzac Place donated by Redcliffe Sub Branch of the RSL was opened.

1970

Captain Cook Memorial Park was opened by Alderman Cec Kroll.

1970

Redcliffe Historical Society’s first Museum was opened at 143 Sutton Street.

1974

New Redcliffe City Council Chambers opened.

1975

The second Historical Society Museum opened at Sutton’s Beach Bathing Pavilion.

1979

Houghton Highway opened.

1989

Peninsula Fair Shopping Centre first stage opened.

1993

Settlement Cove opened.

1996

Kay Cottee opened the bridge in Griffith Road over Albatross Canal.

1999

Bern Cuthbertson’s replica Norfolk arrived for Flinders bi-centenary in July.

1999

New Redcliffe Jetty opened.

2000

Redcliffe City Art Gallery and Library opened.

2001

Redcliffe Museum opened on 28 October. Margate Beach redevelopment opened.

2002

Inaugural Redcliffe Cultural Festival held.

2004

Humpybong Creek Precinct opened. Monument to Matthew Flinders unveiled on 16 May at Redcliffe Museum.

2005

Launch Redcliffe Hospital Foundation. Scarborough Boat Harbour Parkland opened.

2006

Dedication of memorial at Vietnam Veterans’ Place, John Oxley Park, Marine Parade Redcliffe.