Project Description

Historical Timeline

  • 1919 to 1949 – The area was used as a sanitary reserve
  • 1955 – A ‘Special Lease’ was granted for grazing purposes
  • 1957 – The Lease was forfeited
  • 1958 – A report recommended that ¼ of the area be set aside for a park and remainder subdivided into residential allotments
  • 1973 – An idea was put forward to set aside an area for adult educational purposes
  • 1976 – The Redcliffe Education Centre was built
  • 1986 – The Education Centre sought a grant of land for a nature trail. This was the forerunner of the botanic gardens
  • 1984 to1988 – The Wallum Project was extended into the cattle grazing area
  • 1995 to 1996 – The Redcliffe City Council purchased the land for a park and was used for recreation. They employed a groundsman
  • 2000 – The Redcliffe Botanical Gardens were officially opened

The restored Cattleyards and Ramp are the only replica of such a structure in Redcliffe.

Early Redcliffe residents associated with the butchering trade, speak of agisting cattle here prior to slaughter and sale to the public.

A plaque at the site indicates the Cattleyards were last used in 1969.

Another plaque near the newly completed reconstructed cattleyards was unveiled on 24 May, 2008 by Cr James Houghton, Paul Woodcock – Redcliffe Historical Society, Noel Powell – Redcliffe City Rotary, Jacquie Sandy – Friends of the Gardens and David Cullen, Manager – Works Moreton Bay Regional Council.

See the News item in the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald, June 4, 2008 below.