Parks on the Redcliffe Peninsula
The very first ‘parks’ on the Redcliffe Peninsula were designated as Recreation Reserves. These were areas of land set aside by government decree for public purposes and were mostly used by holidaymakers for camping. The area referred to as Bell’s Paddock at Clontarf was a popular camping ground for many years as were Lahore Park at Scott’s Point, Langdon Park at Margate and Centenary Park at Redcliffe. While these reserves were kept clean and tidy but there was no attempt to landscape or develop them in any way until the 1950s. The Redcliffe Herald editorial for 19 July 1956, states that ‘Parks and gardens are things which we sadly lack in this town’.
One of the people most directly responsible for the beautification of parks in Redcliffe was Harold Pownall. Harold began work at Redcliffe Town Council in 1946 in charge of the grass-cutting gang. His main aim was to achieve beautification of the Peninsula. Harold eventually achieved the position of curator of Parks and Gardens for Redcliffe City Council and retired in 1972.
Public parks are now an expectation in urban areas and Moreton Bay Regional Council strives to provide a high standard of parks, reserves and sporting facilities through planned development and maintenance.
- Amusement Parks
- Caravan Parks
- Cemetery reserve
- Jetty surrounds
- Newport canals – these are names for seabirds
- Redcliffe Showgrounds
- Sportsgrounds including Hockey Fields
- Water Tower
The year beside the park name indicates the year the park was named.